From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: audio with TV crd
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:35:57
1 Nick Rout <nick <at> rout.co.nz> writes:
2
3 > > > how would I be able to record video *and* audio from the TV card
4 > > > into an MPEG2 file?
5
6 > > In my experienes, you need to build a 'mixing studio' or at least
7 > > a very simple A/V mixing system. There are too many A/V tools to use.
8 > > I'd first look at the MoBo book and see what onboard hardware you have
9 > > plus 'lspci' -v and 'lshw'. Using the core mobo chips is usually the
10 > > most straightforward. Also look at what sound cards you have.
11
12 > this is all completely irrelevant to the question.
13
14 Well, yes and no. If the PVR-150 card does everything he
15 needs, with the available software packages that are stable with
16 that card, then you are right. And if the mobo's built in,
17 (if any) A/V hardware does not conflict with the PVR
18 card, then again you are correct. Sometimes the AV application
19 software gets confused between the mobo's A/V hardware
20 and the A/V hardware on the pci(PVR) card confuse the
21 AV software.
22
23 My experiences with A/V manipulations on Linux always result
24 in using the hardware resouces of various cards and the mobo.
25 Every machine for slightly different purposes has resulted
26 in sometimes dramatically different hardware/firmware/kernel/driver/
27 /udev/appplication-software variations.
28
29 > The PVR-150 muxes the audio and video into an mpeg stream.
30
31 Great but if you find that you need additional hardware resources,
32 such as offered by the multiple channels of a highend audio card
33 or to remove a stereo audio track, and lay down 5.1 or 7.1
34 audio tracks, all syncronized with the video,
35 then look at my previous posting.
36
37 Hopefully Uwe will find everything he needs on this single card,
38 because once you do need to start mixing and syncronizing hardware
39 from a variety of cards && the mobo, then thing get dicey....
40
41 ymmv && peace,
44 James
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list