From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vm still grinding away at compiling webkitgtk-2.14.2
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 05:23:32
1 On 20/11/2016 02:59, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > An emerge of webkitgtk-2.14.2 has been running for over 2hrs. I
3 > wonder if I am starving my vbox vm of gentoo with 3GB or ram.
4 >
5 > Top's cpu usage is fluxuating between 45% and 99% during this compile
6 >
7 > Portage pulling 99% by itself at times.
8 >
9 > I thought 3GB was a bit high for a vm compared to what I've given debian
10 > vms... can anyone give some guidance about how much ram to allow a
11 > gentoo vm in Vbox?
12 >
13 > I'm on a windows 10 host with 32 GB ram but running a number of vms.
17 Depends on what you are compiling. webkitgtk is a brute, so is
18 thunderbird, libreoffice and other usual culprits. Those sorts of build
19 systems need as much ram as you can spare whereas the rest of the time
20 vm itself needs as much as it needs to do whatever it is you want it to do.
21
22 What hypervisor are you using, and can you use memory ballooning?
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com