From: Chris Cox <yeahsowhat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stage files
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:45:12
1 On Wednesday 24 August 2005 01:32 pm, John Jolet wrote:
2 > Can someone point me to a reference that explains how to make your
3 > own stage files? It seemed to me that the stage3 stage file was
4 > pretty much a bzipped tar file of an installed system. Is this
5 > correct, or is there more to it? I've got a working system that I
6 > now need to replicate exactly across 13 more. I was thinking just
7 > tar up the install and use it as a stage file in the normal install.
8 > Is this naive?
9
10 Partimage is one way as someone already mentioned. But I've used this in the
11 past as well. http://mkcdrec.ota.be/project/index.html
12
13 Here is a copy/paste from their web site:
14
15 ----------------
16 mkCDrec makes a bootable (El Torito) disaster recovery image (CDrec.iso),
17 including backups of the linux system to the same CD-ROM (or CD-RW) if space
18 permits, or to a multi-volume CD-ROM set. Otherwise, the backups can be
19 stored on another local disk, NFS disk or (remote) tape.
20
21 After a disaster (disk crash or system intrusion) the system can be booted
22 from the CD-ROM and one can restore the complete system as it was (at the
23 time mkCDrec was run) with the command /etc/recovery/start-restore.sh
24 Disk cloning (clone-dsk.sh script) allows one to restore a disk to another
25 disk (the destination disk does not have to be of the same size as it
26 calculates the partition layout itself). A thrid script, restore-fs.sh, will
27 restore only one filesystem to a partition of your choice, and the user can
28 choose with which filesystem the partition has to be formatted.
31 Chris
32 Linux 2.6.12-gentoo-r9 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP
33 17:35:39 up 12:25, 2 users, load average: 0.77, 0.42, 0.38
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list