From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ghosting(?) a drive
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:29:04
1 On Nov 11, 2005, at 11:20 pm, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 02:50:22PM -0800, maxim wexler wrote:
4 >> intention of moving my entire gentoo OS over to it
5 >> from a flaky 120G ATA drive(reiserfs). Hopefully, I
6 >> can just boot up from the new drive as if nothing had
7 >> changed.
8 >
9 > If the new drive has a greater or equal number of blocks than the old
10 > you could boot a LiveCD then dd(1) the old device (something like "dd
11 > if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda" IIRC) onto the new device. You then should be
12 > able to boot directly off of the new drive.
13
14 Presumably this copies the boot sector & the main partition data
15 correctly, but what about the "whitespace" at the end of the drive?
16
17 The reason I ask is that a local pension wants his Windows partition
18 copied to a new, larger hard-drive. Will `dd` work? Can I just use
19 PartitionMagic (boo! hiss! proprietary software! hiss!) to resize the
20 partition to take up the full drive once I'm done?
21
22 Normally I'd use something like Maxblast http://tinyurl.com/5ppq4 or
23 Data Lifeguard Tools http://tinyurl.com/97zw7 for this but the guy's
24 new drive is a Samsung & they don't seem to do such a utility.
25
26 Stroller.
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list