From: Travis Osterman <tosterman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [FIXED] Protecting a package in package.keywords?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:40:42
1 On 12/13/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 13 December 2006 22:59, Travis Osterman wrote:
3 > > I needed to unmask ivtv by placing it in my
4 > > /etc/portage/package.keywords as "media-tv/ivtv". Now I'd like to
5 > > have my system not ask me to ever upgrade it again until the newer
6 > > version is required as a dependency of some other program.
7 >
8 > Why?
9
10 I tend not to upgrade for long periods on this box once it works and
11 when I do upgrade generally it is only one or two programs. Those
12 programs, however, have many dependencies and portage tends to want to
13 update everything. I'm trying to protect myself from myself in a year
14 running emerge some-app-with-new-feature and breaking ivtv because
15 there is a new kernel version which needs a new ivtv version, etc.
16
17 > You should package.mask the versions you don't want. Not the version you do
18 > want. So ">=media-tv/ivtv-0.9.1" seems to be what you're looking for.
19 > Or ">media-tv/ivtv-0.9.0"...
20
21 That was my thought too, based on the manual, but an entry (without a
22 version) in package.keywords takes precident over package.mask (which
23 I did not know). After adding your suggestion to package.mask
24 (">=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r2" and ">=media-tv/ivtv-0.9.1")
25 in addition to "~sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.19" and
26 "=media-tv/ivtv-0.9.0" in package.keywords, I tried emerge -pv itvt
27 and got the results I wanted ... nothing (even though version 0.9.1 is
28 out there). Now I am also confident that when these packages go
29 stable, they will be masked on my system ... perfect.
30
31 > Using package.provided is a *really* bad idea! It will bite you eventually...
32 > This is all documented in `man portage` and the handbook...
33
34 Yes, from what I've read avoiding package.provided is a good practice.
35 Thank you Steve Neil, and Bo, I have achieved what I aimed for.
36
37 -- Travis
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list