From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:49:23
1 On 3/9/06, Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hey group,
3 >
4 > I am a long time Linux user, however I am new to Gentoo. I used Red
5 > Hat/Fedora for many years, then my own Linux based on LFS and the last
6 > year I have been using Ubuntu.
7 >
8 > I really like Ubuntu because of apt, however I have had frustrations
9 > with Ubuntu because it could be a pain to get newer versions of packages
10 > installed. For example Ubuntu defaulted to Apache 1.x for mod_mono.
11 >
12 > I have now been using Gentoo for a few days and I am running into some
13 > issues I hope this group can help with. At first emerge was trying to
14 > merge some really old packages. For example I wanted mysql 5.x, php 5.x
15 > and Apache 2.x and Gentoo was only going to install mysql 4.x. I did
16 > find out about ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" which has helped with getting more
17 > recent versions of software installed.
18 >
19 > I am looking for any good links, tips, suggestions of admin software to
20 > emerge, etc to help me learn the ins-and-outs of Gentoo. I have tons of
21 > questions but don't know where to look. Well, I can google but that
22 > takes ages and I was hoping many of you on this list will have a nice
23 > set of bookmarks on gentoo admin, handy gentoo software, tips etc.
24 >
25 > Some tasks I could do in Fedora/Ubuntu that I want to know how to do on
26 > Gentoo:
29 Welcome to Gentoo... I'm sure you will find it much easier to maintain
30 then Fedora or Ubuntu, especially if you need newer packages. If you
31 have any questions I would suggest you google them first, for example
32 if you want to learn how to setup Samba on Gentoo I would google for
33 "Gentoo samba" if you do a query like that the best pages are usually
34 in the top 2 or 3 results. There are some excellent docs sites too...
35 my favorites are:
36
37 http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
39
40 Regarding the specific questions you have...
41 > See list of all *installed* software.
42 > See what version of a particular software package is installed.
43 > See if any new versions of *installed* software are available.
44
45 emerge gentoolkit and read the man page for equery it does all of this
46 stuff for you. I would also encourage you to read up on emerge as it
47 is a very powerful tool for all things Portage.
48
49 > Browse available software that can be installed.
50
51 You can do this with emerge -s <packagename> but IMO to get any really
52 useful information check out http://www.gentoo-portage.com or
53 http://packages.gentoo.org. Also if you need something that is exotic
54 and not in Portage yet you can check out http://bugs.gentoo.org and
55 search for an ebuild or write one yourself.
56
57 -Mike
61 Michael E. Crute
62 http://mike.crute.org
63
64 It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
65 --Douglas Adams
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list