From: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optimizations for SSD netbook
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 04:36:40
1 On Fri, 29 May 2009 17:24:06 -0700
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Am I missing anything significant? I've read that it's good to set up
5 > /tmp in RAM. How can I do that? In /etc/fstab I have:
6 >
7 > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec
8 >
9 > Is that related?
10
11 Only in a way that it is tmpfs as well.
12
13 /tmp is rarely used and then mostly for stuff like different IPC
14 pointers like unix sockets, which lay no burden on any disk.
15
16 I've seen some suggestions of mounting /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs
17 hovewer, but the logic of it escapes me: you loose persistency for
18 nothing - any free memory will be used for FS cache anyway, so if
19 emerge is working on these files they'll be 99.9% in-memory anyway.
20
21 I only found it useful for RAM-challenged machines which can't spare
22 any megabytes for FS cache so I'm mostly curious about it's application
23 in home-like environment, as well.
26 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net