From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 21:46:51
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 02:22:36PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Thanks for the additional info.  As I figured, they got most of the
5 >> kinks worked out by now and we got some dependable SSDs to buy.
6 >>
7 >> I found a 240GB for a little over $42.00 USA.  Not bad at all.  For
8 >> those curious:
9 > Careful, you get what you pay for.
10 >
11 > When I built my first PC from scratch (had laptops before that), I bought a
12 > 128 GB Sandisk SDSSDP128G. I didn’t have a lot of money back then, it was
13 > relatively cheap, but not the very cheapest. It doesn’t even have real
14 > branding to speak of. No series or model name, just a label with “Sandisk”.
15 >
16 > I’ve been using it for 5 years for a dual-boot system (2×64 G for Windows
17 > and Gentoo). By the end of last year it became slower and slower when
18 > writing. Especially eix-update became sloooow. My main suspicion is that it
19 > was quite full and there probably is no overprovisioning for wear-leveling
20 > built into the drive. So it was writing the same cells over and over when I
21 > did my world updates.
22 >
23 >> Sandisk SDSSDA240GG26
24 >>
25 >> Should last me a good long while.  It's the /home that keeps growing.  o_O
26 > When I built my NAS 2 years ago, I wanted the cheapest (but still from a
27 > notable brand) SSD for the OS. So I bought a Sandisk SDSSDA120G, so
28 > apparently from the same series you mentioned.
29 >
30 > A simple read test with hdparm -t reveals:
31 > 500 GB Crucial from 2016: Timing buffered disk reads: 1596 MB in 3.00 seconds = 531.46 MB/sec
32 > 128 GB Sandisk from 2014: Timing buffered disk reads: 1532 MB in 3.00 seconds = 510.60 MB/sec
33 > 120 GB Sandisk from 2017: Timing buffered disk reads: 968 MB in 3.00 seconds = 322.42 MB/sec
34 >
35 > The theoretical maximum of SATA-III is around 550 MB/s. As you can see, even
36 > a very simple read test already shows a considerable performance drop, even
37 > though it is the newest in the bunch (by date of purchase).
38 > A good SSD should always be able to saturate SATA-III when reading. Most do.
39 > Sequential writing on the cheap Sandisk topped off at around 90 MB/s, IIRC.
40 > This is slower than an HDD. For a NAS system drive this is enough, but not
41 > for a desktop, methinks.
42 >
43 > So my message is: don’t by the cheapest.
47 I generally go by the model number.  If a model number is the same
48 between two different sellers but one has a better price, I'll go for
49 the better price.  If it's the same model, it shouldn't matter.  One
50 thing I did try to do, avoid the much older versions.  I found some
51 older models that were cheaper but I wanted a newer model since most of
52 the kinks and quirks should be fixed in the newer ones, according to
53 what folks posted on here anyway.
54
55 I still haven't bought it yet.  I ordered some toner cartridges a while
56 back for my printer.  The site said that the ones I ordered fits my
57 printer.  Well, it appears they found out that was a error because they
58 removed that page and relisted it but did not include my printer model.
59 So, I had to order a whole new set, at about $100.00 each for high
60 yield.  Needless to say, I'll be paying on that for a while.  I'll try
61 to sell the wrong ones later.  I only opened one color so the others are
62 still sealed.
63
64 BTW, next time I'll find a printer that allows refilling and such too.
65 I don't like that chip thing.  It counts against my page count on color
66 even if I print a black and white page.  Still, printer does a awesome
67 job.  Beats those ink jet thingys by a country mile.
68
69 Dale
70