From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 21:37:45
1 On Tue, Dec 06, 2011 at 12:00:03PM +0100, LinuxIsOne wrote:
2 >
3 > However, Getoo could be great (I really don't know) but installing
4 > Ubuntu is working like a charm (I still don't know anything in Linux!)
5 > But I don't know why the creators of Gentoo made it so difficult for
6 > beginners! It is typical then....
7
8 > I don't know why the creators of Gentoo made it so difficult for
9 > beginners! It is typical then....
10
11 Whaddayatawkinbout, gentoo is more than great, it's awesome!
12 Gentoo isn't intended for beginners, and makes no claims about
13 "user friendliness" of which I'm aware. Generally speaking, making
14 things "user friendly" entails adding more layers of abstraction.
15 It's nice for those who don't want to study to learn how to use their
16 computer, but it's not going to give the best performance. Security is
17 also frequently impacted to some degree.
18 Were it otherwise, there might be fewer "geeky" distros and more "easy"
19 ones. :)
20
21 There's nothig wrong with using Ubuntu though - I tend to recommend
22 Linux Mint over Ubuntu for eginner or non-technical users.
23 Opensuse is just a mess everytime I try it (admittedly, more than a year has
24 passed so maybe it's killer now).
25
26 Good luck and enjoy your adventures in OSes. :)
29 caveat utilitor