From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE apps, with minimal KDE install
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:02:38
1 On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:41:35PM -0500, sean wrote
2
3 > Altering some USE flags was a big help. I had been altering them,
4 > but finally it worked. I went from over 300 packages down to 32.
5
6 That's one of the reasons I lead off my USE in /etc/make.conf with a
7 "-*", and then enable only what I want/need. Mine is...
8
9 USE="-* X a52 aac bzip2 dga exif ffmpeg flac gif jpeg joystick mmx mng mp3 mpeg nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ogg opengl pcf png posix sdl sse sse2 ssse3 theora threads tiff truetype vim-syntax vorbis win32codecs wmf xcomposite xpm xv xvid zlib"
10
11 ...plus a few application-specific flags in /etc/package.use. There
12 are also a bunch of flags set in your profile. If you don't negate them
13 in /etc/make.conf, they get applied. E.g.
14 /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/make.defaults has
15 USE="berkdb crypt ipv6 ncurses nls pam perl python readline ssl tcpd zlib"
16
17 I don't want want/need ipv6 or nls or pam. I've been starting my USE
18 with "-*" since the day the developers "in their infinite wisdom"
19 decided to make ipv6 a default setting. Firefox and mplayer and other
20 apps that accessed the internet ended up sitting doing nothing for 45
21 seconds, waiting for the ipv6 DNS query to timeout, before sending an
22 ipv4 query, and doing what they were supposed to do.
23
24 The desktop profile has...
25
26 ========================================================================
27 USE="a52 aac acpi alsa branding cairo cdr dbus dts dvd dvdr eds emboss
28 encode evo fam firefox flac gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal jpeg kde ldap libnotify mad mikmod mp3 mp4 mpeg ogg opengl pdf png ppds qt3support qt4 quicktime sdl spell svg thunar tiff truetype vorbis win32codecs unicode usb X x264 xml xulrunner xv xvid"
29
30 # This is added for GNOME/Xfce
31 USE="${USE} startup-notification"
32
33 # Adding this for bluetooth support
34 USE="${USE} bluetooth consolekit"
36
37 I don't want/need dbus, hal, emboss, fam, gnome, kde, ldap, quicktime,
38 thunar, startup-notification, bluetooth, or consolekit, thank you.
39 There may be additional stuff that cascades in by default. Gentoo is
40 about the user having control, which is why the "-*".
43 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>