From: Tim Allingham <deserted@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux too damn slow if memory > 3GB
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:46:31
1 On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 20:28 -0300, Daniel van Ham Colchete wrote:
2 > Hello everyone!!!
3 >
4 > May be somebody can shed some light here... I'm building a server here
5 > with 4GB of RAM memory. The fact is, if I boot with mem=3072M
6 > everything goes as fast as it should but I'm not using 1GB of memory.
7 > If I don't put the mem option, Linux will see 4GB of memory available
8 > but it will be damn slow (really).
9 >
10 > To make Linux recognize 4 gigs of memory I had to activate
11 > HIGHMEM=64GB, otherwise it only recognizes 3279MB (but it is fast).
12 >
13 > My processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 (1.86Ghz). The motherboard is
14 > Intel. I'm running Gentoo at 32bits mode and the kernel version is
15 > 2.6.20-gentoo-r8.
16 >
17 > Any lights would be very appreciated.
18 >
19 > Best regards,
20 > Daniel Colchete
21
22 I don't actually run 4GB of RAM in any of my intel systems, so I can't
23 comment from experience, however my suspicion would be the overhead
24 introduced from PAE, which (at least on older kernels) requires some
25 processing overhead to utilise. Are you able to try a 64-bit install to
26 determine if this is the case?
27
28 Regards,
29