From: wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] screen tearing with mpv but not mplayer
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 01:31:43
1 Behrouz Khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hello everyone. Mpv has horizontal screen tearing(not very serious
4 > though) while playing video while
5 >
6 > mplayer does not. I have tried some configs which I found on the net
7 > but nothing removes this issue.
8 >
9 > Mpv docs even says that tearing problems are probably not related to
10 > software but driver and such, but
11
12 My GPU is a Radeon R7 250E. Screen resolution is 3840x2160@60Hz 24bpp.
13
14 I had tearing with every player before I used the "TearFree" option
15 in my xorg.conf. It contains only a device section, nothing else:
16
17 $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
18
19 Section "Device"
20 Identifier "ATI-Card"
21 Driver "radeon"
22 Option "TearFree" "on"
23 Option "ShadowPrimary" "off"
24 EndSection
25
26 If you also use a Radeon GPU you can try to enable the TearFree option.
27 Since I've enabled this option I have no tearing problems anymore.
28
29 If you don't use a Radeon GPU then you should find out if there is a
30 similar option for your GPU.
31
32 Attached is my Xorg logfile (some non important stuff removed).
33 In the logfile you can see that I'm using a kernel parameter "radeon.dpm=1".
34 Without this parameter I had performance problems with my GPU in the past.
35 To be honest, I don't know if the performance problem I encountered still
36 exist without this parameter. Maybe it has been fixed in the meantime.
37
38 BTW: I'm using x11-base/xorg-server-1.18.4 and
39 x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-7.7.1.
40
41 > it seems that this is mpv's problem. any idea about how to solve this
42 > issue? Thanks.
43 >
44 > [I] media-video/mpv
45 > Installed versions: 0.20.0(02:34:27 PM
46 > 10/19/2016)(X alsa cli drm egl enca encode iconv jpeg lcms libass
47 > libmpv lua luajit opengl pulseaudio rubberband uchardet vaapi vdpau
48 > wayland xscreensaver xv -aqua -archive -bluray -cdda -coreaudio -doc
49 > -dvb -dvd -gbm -jack -libav -libcaca -libguess -openal -oss
50 > -raspberry-pi -samba -sdl -selinux -test -v4l -vf-dlopen -xinerama
51 > -zsh-completion)
52
53 I don't think that it is important but for the sake of completeness
54 these are the USE flags for mpv (0.9.2-r1) on my system:
55
56 X alsa bluray bs2b cli doc-pdf dvd enca encode iconv jack jpeg ladspa
57 lcms libass libmpv lua luajit opengl oss sdl vaapi vdpau xscreensaver xv
60 Regards
61 wabe

Xorg.0.log text/x-log