From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "deleted inode referenced" [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 15:12:37
1 091108 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 12:05 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> In the course of trying to get X to work on my ASUS 1005HA netbook,
4 >> I had to power the machine off several times. In the course of this,
5 >> some damage seems to have occurred to the file system.
6 >> There are files in /var /tmp which I can't remove:
7 >> the msg is "EXT2-fs error: ext2_lookup: deleted inode referenced: 16388".
8 >> I got round the problem by creating new dirs, copying everything else
9 >> & renaming the dirs, but that leaves me with /bad1 , which I can't remove
10 >> as it contains a reference to an inode which no longer exists.
11 >> BTW is Ext2 the best fs for this machine ? Might Ext3 or Ext4 be better ?
12 >> -- I use Reiserfs on my desktop machines.
13 > Have you tried fsk on it? - "man e2fsck"
14
15 Sorry to those who suggested this: I didn't think of it,
16 as I haven't used Ext2 (except for /boot ) since 2003.
17
18 > My personal experience is
19 > ext2 is only for those occasions you dont value the data at all
20
21 That's my impression from yesterday's potential disaster (wry smile).
22
23 > ext3 isnt much better
24 > unless you use "data=journal" to get some basic protection.
25
26 It seemed behind Reiserfs back in 2003, when I built ANB2,
27 & I kept it for ANB3 in 2007; there's never been a problem with it.
28
29 > use Reiserfs though this may need a complete reinstall.
30 > Updates are still occuring to the Reiserfs code in the kernel,
31 > so Reiserfs is not abandoned by any means.
32
33 I haven't updated R-fsprogs since 071222, tho' there's a minor revision.
34 Of course, that doesn't mean the stuff in the kernel is that old.
35 It wb a pity if it's not maintained at least till Btree-fs is reliable.
36
37 Anyway, I've reformatted my partitions to Reiserfs without re-installing
38 (clever, aren't I ? -- big grin). Besides / + /home ,
39 I have a big hangar-openspace partition I call /z ( 60 GB ),
40 which is useful for unpacking stuff & has /z/tmp for Emerge to use.
41 I created a dir /z/store3 , then did 'cp -a bin /z/store3' etc
42 for all the dirs in / ; next I used SystemRescue to reformat /dev/hda3 ,
43 which is mounted as / , then 'cp -a' everything back again.
44 And it worked !! Similarly for /home & for /z itself (using /store6 ).
45 NB WARNING : if anyone else wants to do this, 'cp -a' is your friend,
46 but be very careful to proof-read all your commands as you do it
47 & use 'du' etc to check that the data really is being copied;
48 some of the copies take a few minutes, but they do get there.
49
50 So far, I'm very impressed with the ASUS 1005HA & even more with Gentoo,
51 which is perfectly fit for this kind of job. Try a binary distro,
52 run into any kind of problem & what can you do ? Gentoo makes it work !
53
54 Now I have to resume getting X to work properly.
58 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
59 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
60 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca