From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 10:09:52
1 Tomas Mozes <tomas.mozes@××××.sk> writes:
2
3 > On 2014-12-04 02:14, lee wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'd like to give Gentoo a try and want to install it in a xen VM. The
7 >> server is otherwise running Debian. What would be the best way to do
8 >> this?
9 >
10 > Either you can run a virtual machine using paravirtualization (PV) or
11 > full virtualization (HVM).
12 >
13 > If you want to use PV, then you create a partition for Gentoo, chroot,
14 > unpack stage3 and prepare your system for booting (follow the
15 > handbook). Then you create a configuration for your xen domU (Gentoo),
16 > provide a kernel and start it. You don't need the install-cd in this
17 > situation, nor any bootloader.
18
19 That's like what I thought I should do :)
20
21 I'd like to use PV as it has some advantages. How do I provide a
22 kernel? Is it contained in the stage3 archive?
23
24 And no bootloader? How do I make the VM bootable then?
25
26 All the guests are PV and use something called phygrub of which I don't
27 know where it comes from.
28
29 This installation process with xen is some sort of mystery to me. With
30 Debian, I used a somehow specially prepared kernel which booted the
31 Debian installer. From there, the installation was the same as
32 installing on bare metal.
33
34 > If you prefer HVM, then you create a partition and use the install-cd
35 > to boot. After your install cd boots up, you partition your disk
36 > provided by xen dom0 (Debian), chroot, unpack stage3 and install the
37 > system along with the kernel and a bootloader. You can boot your
38 > Gentoo with pvgrub that will handle the booting to grub and it will
39 > load the kernel. This way, the Gentoo machine is like a black box for
40 > your Debian.
41 >
42 > I would recommend starting with HVM.
43
44 Hm, I haven't used HVM yet. Can I change over to PV after the
45 installation is done? What's the advantage of starting with HVM?
46
47 The "disk" is an LVM volume and won't be partitioned. I've found it
48 more reasonable to use a separate LVM volume for swap.
49
50 I never installed Gentoo. I could start with my desktop since I want to
51 replace Fedora anyway. That's a bit troublesome because I either have
52 to plug in some disks for it which I'd need to buy first (I might get
53 two small SSDs), or I'd have to repartition the existing ones.
54
55 Hmmm. I think I'll try a VM with PV first. If that doesn't work, no
56 harm is done and I can still ask when I'm stuck.
59 Oh I almost forgot: Does the VM need internet access during the
60 installation? The network setup is awfully complicated in this case.
64 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
65 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.