From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can anyone tell me?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 14:45:47
1 On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 14:09:45 -0500, Chris Walters wrote:
2
3 > Can anyone tell me what packages you know of that will break your
4 > system if you choose to put "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~amd64" in your make.conf
5 > file? I have had my system break, twice now, from a package upgrade -
6 > I think that one of the culprits is gawk, but can't be certain.
7
8 I run two completely ~amd64 systems here and have very few problems.
9
10 > I do know that the only way to fix the problem was to restore from
11 > backup, or to try re-installing again. I just want to know which
12 > packages are so unstable that I should mask them. TIA.
13
14 The ~ in ~amd64 means the ebuilds are in testing, not that they, or the
15 software they install, are considered unstable in the "likely to crash"
16 meaning of the term. Because you are using bleeding edge ebuilds, there
17 is the odd occasion when things don't play nicely together, or mistakes
18 are made. The gawk problem one one such situation, where it depended on a
19 library in /usr/lib and broke any system with /usr on a separate
20 filesystem. It didn't require a reinstall to fix, I know because I was
21 hit by it and didn't reinstall. It was a one-off that was fixed quickly,
22 if you didn't sync and update each day you could easily have missed it.
23
24 The testing ebuilds are for just that, it is only by people using them
25 and reporting problems that those problems are kept out of the stable
26 tree. If you are not prepared to deal with the occasional problem,
27 running a testing system is not for you.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to