From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc fails and then succeeds - definitely a problem?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:20:48
1 On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > mprime ran for about 1.5 hours until it found this:
5 >
6 > [Work thread Feb 23 13:04] FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
7 > [Work thread Feb 23 13:04] Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
8 > [Work thread Feb 23 13:04] Torture Test completed 85 tests in 1 hour,
9 > 33 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
10 > [Work thread Feb 23 13:04] Worker stopped.
11 > [Main thread Feb 23 13:04] Execution halted.
12 >
13 > I have a 1200 watt Corsair power supply and my temps are very low even
14 > during the stress test so I'm thinking bad (Corsair) RAM.  I should
15 > remove modules one at a time and re-test to narrow it down?
16 >
17 > - Grant
20 If it's a modern machine then most of the memory channels are 2 or
21 even 3 DIMM's wide. Consult you manual as to whether you can run less
22 than pairs or DIMMS.
23
24 If you have 4 DIMM's installed then I'd consider removing two, testing
25 two, testing the other two, and then if you see a problem testing all
26 the combinations until you figure out which one is causing the error.
27
28 Good luck,
29 Mark