From: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choice of TLD for internal network
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 19:56:03
1 On 18/12/17 13:56, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/17/2017 09:05 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> Hello list,
4 >>
5 >> I've been running Linux systems since 1994, calling my private LAN mynet
6 >> (bowdlerised). Now I come to install neth server on one machine, it insists
7 >> that I tell it a domain name with at least two dots in it. But I don't have
8 >> a standard TLD.
9 >>
10 >> What do you all call your local LANs? Following Google hints, it looks as
11 >> though I may have to change all .mynet references to .mynet.internal.
12 >
13 > You should probably buy a TLD. It's stupid, but there are no reserved
14 > top-level domain names for internal use. There used to be four[0],
15 >
16 > * test
17 > * example
18 > * invalid
19 > * localhost
20 >
21 > There was no proscribed behavior for those TLDs, so you were free to use
22 > them for your internal network. Then along came rfc6761[1], which tells
23 > people how to treat those four names. In particular,
24 >
25 My router defaults, iirc, to .local. And I thought .home also did the
26 same sort of thing.
27
28 See RFCs 7788 for .home, and 8244 for .local
29
30 It seems to me that 7788 defines .home, although it appears it did not
31 do it properly.
32
33 I think .local was correctly added to 6761, so that domain CAN be used
34 as your private network's TLD.
35
36 Cheers,
37 Wol