From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mystically disabled Ethernet connection
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 17:11:35
1 пт, 18 дек. 2020 г. в 18:26, bobwxc <bobwxc@××.com>:
2 >
3 > 在 2020/12/19 上午1:29, gevisz 写道:
4 > > I am currently installing a new Gentoo system
5 > > on a computer that is run by a Gentoo system
6 > > that has not been updated since January 2019.
7 > >
8 > > Initially, I did so by chrooting to a newly formatted
9 > > disk partition. My intention was to build everything
10 > > in the chrooted environment and only then start
11 > > to work in the new Gentoo system.
12 > >
13 > > However, when after installing Grub I rebooted into
14 > > the new Gentoo system to find out if it works and
15 > > rebooted again into the old Gentoo system to continue
16 > > compilation in the chroot environment, I found out
17 > > that my computer does not have a working ethernet
18 > > connection to my home router. The "ip addr" command
19 > > showed that my ethernet interface is down.
20 > >
21 > > I tried "ip link set <eth0> up" and "ifconfig <eth0> up"
22 > > commands, where <eth0> substitutes the correct,
23 > > "predictable," name of my ethernet interface but it
24 > > had not helped.
25 > >
26 > > Initially, I thought that something was wrong with my
27 > > hardware, but when I rebooted into my new Gentoo
28 > > system, the ethernet interface started to work again.
29 > > Then, I rebooted back to the old system, and
30 > > the ethernet interface stopped working again.
31 > >
32 > > It is very strange because I am sure that I have not
33 > > changed anything on my old Gentoo system except
34 > > for installing a new Grub onto the system disk.
35 > >
36 > > So, I have tried to reinstall (the old) Grub from
37 > > my old system, but it has not helped either.
38 > >
39 > > Finally, I decided that it would be easier to complete
40 > > installation of the new Gentoo system than to find out
41 > > what is wrong with the old Gentoo system ethernet
42 > > connection. So, I compiled xorg-x11, awesome, gvim,
43 > > xfce4-terminal and are currently compiling firefox.
44 > >
45 > > Hopefully, tomorrow I will already have my new Gentoo
46 > > system working.
47 > >
48 > > However, I am still wondering why the ethernet interface
49 > > stopped working on my old Gentoo system.
50 > >
51 > > As, I have already said, I am pretty sure that I have not
52 > > changed anything in its settings. Moreover, I have looked
53 > > through the entire /etc directory of my old Gentoo system
54 > > for config files that were modified during the installation
55 > > of the new Gentoo system (suspecting that instead of the
56 > > chrooted environment I put an installation command into
57 > > the su terminal of my old Gentoo system or mistakenly
58 > > edited a configuration file of my old Gentoo system) but
59 > > found no config file that was modified during this period of time.
60 > >
61 > > So, I am not in a desperate need for help, but just interested
62 > > to find out the reason for such a strange behaviour of the
63 > > ethernet interface.
64 > >
65 > > P.S. I have read in the Gentoo Network management wiki
66 > > that the connman, netifrc, dhcpcd, networkmanager, and
67 > > openrc should not be run at the same time because it could
68 > > lead to "unpredictable results" and checked if it is not
69 > > the case on my old Gentoo system. No, on my old Gentoo
70 > > system installed is only the openrc with the netifrc use flag
71 > > and netifrc (which, as I guess, leads to only netifrc being used).
72 > > But, anyway, it has been worked so for years and only
73 > > now suddenly stopped.
74 >
75 > That is interesting. Something must been changed here.
76 > Do you use some partitions for both gentoo systems?
77 > Not the root, just like boot ESP partition or home.
78
79 Yes, I mount the same home partition (actually the separate disk) on both.
80 And it still has some configuration files from a pre-Gentoo era :)
81 as it has been used for Ubuntu 10 years ago.
82
83 A separate partition with rarely used virtual machines is also mounted
84 into a user directory. Also a common swap. ESP partition also exists
85 but I never mounted it on old Gentoo and recently disabled it from
86 mounting into a new one as well (after realized that it is not needed at all :).