From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 00:29:31
1 On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Christian Apeltauer wrote:
2 > Am Thu, 11 Feb 2010 01:18:42 +0000
3 >
4 > schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
5 > > On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:03:15 -0600, Roy Wright wrote:
6 > > > IMO, mandatory semantic-desktop is a very good reason to find
7 > > > another desktop manager (even after being my primary desktop for 7
8 > > > years).
9 > >
10 > > It's so mandatory it takes a whole mouse click to turn it off :(
11 >
12 > If you do not want a piece of software, why should you install it?
13 > Installing and not using it instead of not installing it at all, is the
14 > wrong way and (to my opinion) it is defintely not the Gentoo way.
15 > Well, I have drawn the conclusions and got rid of kmail and am on the
16 > verge of migrating the whole desktop. I loved kde-3.5, I seriously
17 > tried kde-4.*, but I could never befriend with it. And one point I
18 > detaste is that "Social Semantic Desktop" thing (as Nepomuk is
19 > characterized on its afore mentioned wikipedia page). For me it is just
20 > another instance of what Kant called "selbstverschuldete
21 > Unmündigkeit" (self-incurred immaturity).
22
23 sure. Be able to tag and quickly find information is immature.
24
25 Question, when you have KDE installed and some app pulls in gconf or gvfs - do
26 you throw the same temper tamtrum?