From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [wildly OT]advice for a wireless antenna?
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:30:24
1 > > > Sorry, I don't see how firmware can affect sensitivity. I've
2 > > > been involved in writing firmware for RF data communications
3 > > > stuff for a long time, and I've certainly never been able to
4 > > > affect sensitivity.
5 > > >
6 > >
7 > > I can say that I was really struggling to get a reliable wireless
8 > > connection with the rt2x00 device and Hawking external antenna
9 > > anywhere in my garage. I tried the madwifi device attached to the
10 > > same Hawking antenna and the difference was ridiculous. I got a
11 > > perfectly reliable signal from the back of the garage, the point
12 > > furthest from the signal's source.
13 > >
14 > > Now that I think about it, I could have enabled outdoor mode for
15 > > madwifi, but I can't check it right now. Could that account for the
16 > > difference?
19 > What's madwifi outdoor mode? I googled but I can't find some readable
20 > information.
21
22 The only "info" I have is from /etc/conf.d/ath_pci:
23
24 # outdoor: Enable/disable outdoor use
25 # countrycode: Override default country code
26 options ath_pci outdoor=1 countrycode=0
27
28 Now that I look at that, the sensitivity difference could also be due
29 to my unsetting the country code.
30
31 - Grant
32 --