From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] How to be a penguin.
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 07:51:01
1 On Mon, 30 May 2016 20:48:46 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > Have you read the emerge and portage man pages anytime in the last
5 > > five years?
6 >
7 > I tried to extract useful information from the emerge manpage a few days
8 > ago but it contained no useful information, manpages are written in
9 > moonspeak anyway.
10
11 Man pages are reference documents for those that already have a basic
12 understanding of the software. They document the various command options.
13 They are not tutorials, the handbook does a good enough job of that.
14
15 > I thought portage was just the file database,
16
17 You though wrong, that's the portage tree. Portage is the package
18 manager, it's the software installed by sys-apps/portage
19
20 > I tried to find an on-line wiki about
21 > emerge because that's how shit is documented in the 21st century but
22 > couldn't.
23
24 Man pages are written by the developers of the software, and the versions
25 installed match the software version - they should be considered
26 authoritative. The same cannot be said of a random wiki page that any
27 idiot can write or edit.
28
29 > I wish I could remember where I got the documentation I needed
30 > to configure the features list I'm using, it's been ages since I've
31 > messed with it...
32
33 You've already been told the answer to that...
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 "Most problems go away if you just wait long enough. It might look like
40 I'm standing motionless but I'm actively waiting for our problems to go
41 away. I don't know why this works but it does."
42 Scott Adams, Dilbert comic