From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Cc: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Konsole, XTerm, UXTerm have all died!!!!!
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 06:08:49
1 On 10/24/2012 04:31 AM, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I did an "emerge -NuD world", it nearly finished, 2 or 3 big files to
4 > go, when I decided it was bed time. I killed the build and went to bed.
5 > This morning I can't now fire up Konsole, which I use as my terminal,
6 > XTerm or UXTerm.
7 >
8 > In more detail, I get the Konsole window, the menu is there and I can
9 > open other tabs etc, but instead of the command prompt, I just get a
10 > small grey blob in the top left hand corner. Hitting return does not get
11 > me any carriage returns.
14 Same here on two different boxes, ~x86 and ~amd64. I'm on LXDE,
15 ~/.lxde_errors reports that rxvt could not start due to lack of
16 pseudo-terminals. Issuing
17 # mount /dev/pts
18 by hand temporarily solves the issue.
19
20 A related issue might be that during the boot I see that /dev/shm could
21 not be mounted. /dev/pts and /dev/shm are both mounted by
22 /etc/init.d/devfs, maybe that's failing?
23
24 The last emerge pulled in
25 sys-apps/openrc-0.11.1
26 sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-17-r1
27
28 but neither one has any bugs open relevant to this. Other ideas?
29
30 raf