From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't kill Firefox!
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 14:03:31
1 * Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> [110723 09:21]:
2 >
3 > On 21 July 2011, at 19:48, Dale wrote:
4 > > ...
5 > > I would try to kill it as root. The -9 option should work. That hasn't failed me yet. I always run kill commands as root and DOUBLE check the PID after typing it in.
6 >
7 > I believe that `kill -9` is bad practice - doesn't it leave memory allocated to the processes as unrecoverable or something?
8 >
9 > I believe other signals should be attempted first. See the list in `man kill`. I won't swear to it, but `kill -4` sounds right.
10 >
11 > Stroller.
15 No, a kill -9 shouldn't leave memory allocated.
16
17 However, it is best to try other signals first because it gives the app
18 a chance to clean up before closing (if they handle the signals.) But
19 that's also why they don't necessarily work.
20
21 SIGHUP (kill -1) is the first thing I generally try. Depending on the
22 app I may try SIGQUIT (kill -15) but generally it's straight to kill -9
23 if the kill -1 doesn't work.
24
25 Todd