From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] make oldconfig necessary?
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 11:53:58
1 On Sunday, July 31 at 21:23 (-0500), Jeremy McSpadden said:
2
3 > Better to run make oldconfig. It merges the changes.
4 >
5 > --
6 > Jeremy McSpadden
7 > deface@×××××××××××.net
12 > On Jul 31, 2011, at 9:06 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
13 >
14 > > Let's say I have a .config from an older kernel version (for example,
15 > > 2.6.38), and now I want to install a newer kernel (let's say, 3.0).
16 > >
17 > > Is it necessary to first do `make oldconfig`, or is it safe to go
18 > > directly to `make menuconfig`?
21 Agreed, although it should be possible to go straight to menuconfig,
22 what I think that does is basically says 'n' to all the changes, and you
23 never get to see what you said no to. (Unless you have a *very* good
24 memory and peruse though everything in menuconfig (but that isn't
25 entirely correct either since some menu options will not be visible
26 since you implicitly said not to them).
27
28 Usually, I just do an oldconfig after a kernel upgrade. If I also need
29 to explicitly enable/disable something, then i do an oldconfig followed
30 by a menuconfig.