From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 22:42:13
1 On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 19:29:18 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 8:11 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 > wrote:
4 > > On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 15:21:09 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
5
6 > Ah, so now we have more clues about what's going on. KDE supplies
7 > pulseaudio. AFAIK it's part of the KDE installation on other distros. I'm
8 > running Kubuntu LTS, not Gentoo, so I have pulseaudio because it's what the
9 > Kubuntu guys give me. You have a USE flag that __YOU__ took responsibility
10 > for turning off. (I'm not clear from this discussion what packages have a
11 > pulseaudio flag - multiple packages I assume?
12
13 I don't think pa is part of KDE, unless you install it along with systemd.
14 Otherwise, KDE's phonon can be installed with the pulseaudio USE flag enabled,
15 in which case pa is dragged in.
16
17 media-libs/phonon
18 Available versions:
19 4.11.1-r1 [debug designer gstreamer pulseaudio +vlc]
20 Installed versions: 4.11.1-r1(10:37:13 04/12/19)(vlc -debug -designer -
21 gstreamer -pulseaudio)
22 Homepage: https://phonon.kde.org/
26 > Or your choice to disable USE flags has removed some of the 'features' of
27 > KDE. Again, I'm using completely updated stable Kubuntu LTS for my
28 > day-to-day systems so there are clearly differences. However I suggest here
29 > that the reason there is no multimedia under audio in system settings may
30 > be because you haven't included the pulseaudio USE flag.
31
32 I think with openrc the pulseaudio USE flag is optional, but haven't looked
33 into the profile to see what it enables.
36 > If Alsa under the hood is doing everything you need then let's drop the
37 > pulseaudio part. pulseaudio is conceptually just a mixer.
38
39 Yes, and if some application requires pulseaudio, I think the apulse package
40 provides a partial implementation of the PulseAudio API and libraries for alsa
41 to use instead its own dmix, dsnoop, and plug plugins in place of pulseaudio.
44 > Have you blacklisted the snd_hda_intel driver, at least as a test? If so,
45 > do you only see the USB card and the snd_usb_driver in /proc/asound? If so
46 > do you have sound from the USB device?
47
48 With a broken sound card which will never work again, blacklisting the
49 snd_hda_intel driver is a 'sound' strategy (sorry, couldn't resist the pun).
52 > I have nothing against creating an asound.conf file, if you want to, but I
53 > don't have any recent experience with doing that. However it should allow
54 > you to set your USB device as default if it's done correctly but in this
55 > test configuration with blacklisted snd_hda_intel drivers I don't think
56 > it's necessary and cannot see how it improves anything yet.
57 >
58 > Mark
59
60 Right, an asound.conf file is just a way of configuring alsa itself to select
61 an audio card as a primary device, rather than disabling a device at a kernel
62 driver level. Both approaches will work equally, although blacklisting a
63 driver means it will be disabled for any other audio devices which may need it
64 in the future.