From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo decapitated
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 01:33:18
1 On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com <mailto:
6 >> michaelkintzios@×××××.com>> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> On Wednesday 12 May 2010 21:21:25 Dale wrote:
9 >> > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
10 >>
11 >> <snippage>
15 > > > As I think I explained, I have re-emerged *everything*
16 >> installed that
17 >> > > had "x11" or "xorg" in its name. And the mouse driver was
18 >> definitely
19 >> > > there.
20 >> >
21 >> > That usually works so I'm clueless. I assume the mouse works
22 >> somewhere
23 >> > else? I think you mentioned it working somewhere so I'm out of
24 >> ideas.
27 >> Sorry to persist, but the drivers usually have "xf86-*" in their
28 >> name not
29 >> "x11" or "xorg", e.g. xf86-input-evdev.
30 >>
31 >> (The category of those packages is of course x11-drivers/ ; i.e. x11-
32 >> drivers/xf86-input-evdev)
36 Yes, so I picked up all of those driver files on account of the x11.
40 > Other than that could it be a udev issue and some permanent rule
41 >> for a USB
42 >> type of mouse, which you should remove and restart udev? Don't
43 >> know, just an
44 >> idea.
47 There's not much there, and none of it is anything I put there. The files
48 are
49 treat rules.d # wc *
50 3 12 174 10-virtualbox.rules
51 1 3 44 30-svgalib.rules
52 149 691 8415 55-hpmud.rules
53 13 41 495 56-hpmud_support.rules
54 26 54 1104 64-device-mapper.rules
55 1062 5588 136720 70-libgphoto2.rules
56 23 105 1799 70-persistent-cd.rules
57 10 55 490 70-persistent-net.rules
58 2 9 83 90-hal.rules
59 1289 6558 149324 total
60
61 And the word "mouse" does not appear in any of them. I'll do as you suggest
62 -- drop then reemerge udev.
65 > I have been known to back that directory up, delete all the rules and then
66 > re-emerge udev. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. If you have
67 > rules you made yourself, do back them up first.
68 >
69 > Of course you may be able to check in the rule files and see if there is
70 > something obviously wrong too.
71 >
72 > Dale
73 >