From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox managed by my organization?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 08:41:39
1 On Thursday, 5 March 2020 23:04:56 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 12:30:51PM +0000, Michael wrote
3 >
4 > > I haven't yet given Palemoon a spin and consequently have no
5 > > experience of it. How does it compare to FF? I am curious as to
6 > > security and performance comparisons.
7 >
8 > It's kept updated regularly for security. See
9 > http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml for update info. "CVE-"
10 > mentions are usually for code inherited from Firefox. The reason the
11 > version number is "so low" is that update increments tend to be +0.0.1
12 > instead of full integer +1 like Firefox/Chrome. Major milestones are
13 > where the integer increments occur. I believe that performance is
14 > roughly the same, but I don't use both, so I don't definitively know.
15 > BTW, Pale Moon is still XUL, versus Firefox Webextensions, so the
16 > respective addons/extensions are incompatible. Pale Moon stuff is listed
17 > at https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/
18
19 I use a couple of Addons, I guess I could fish for older XUL based versions
20 and see if they run.
23 > > Would they differ in performance terms on an old AMD powered laptop?
24 >
25 > 1st question; how old is the AMD laptop? Pale Moon requires at least
26 > SSE2-capable cpus.
27
28 I'll be OK on this front. SSE2 is available.
29
30 > 2nd question; how old is the AMD laptop? As per thread
31 > https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23031 the official
32 > 32-bit tarball will no longer be generated as of Nov 2020. Note that
33 > this will not prevent you from building it yourself in Gentoo or "the
34 > hard way", or "community versions" or whatever.
35
36 Thanks, amd64 arch will work nicely.
39 > > What is the recommended way to install in Gentoo? I noticed
40 > > the palemoon overlay has ebuilds for source and binary options.
41 >
42 > You can go the overlay route to manage it by Gentoo, but remember to
43 > disable system libs. This will continue to work for 32 and 64-bit.
44 >
45 > Or you can pull down the tarball and extract to your home directory
46 > and point your program launcher to ${HOME}/palemoon/palemoon The entire
47 > program is contained in ${HOME}/palemoon so it doesn't splatter stuff
48 > all over. "Uninstalling" consists of "rm -rf ${HOME}/palemoon". You
49 > can set it to auto-update (64-bit only after November) if you install it
50 > in a directory that you have write-access to.
51
52 This is good to know. Will give it a spin, thanks Walter!