From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Spectre-NG
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 13:58:27
1 On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 1:34 AM Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > As a simple example, assume that you have read a password file
4 > into a string of your language and now access a single password.
5 > No matter, how you mark the end of the password (fixed-length, \0, \n,
6 > ...) speculative execution might always access the next password(s)
7 > unless you prevent it globally. Whether it is exploitable depends
8 > of course on other things. There is no difference to C.
11 I'll just reply to this because the rest of the email is just a natural
12 consequence of it.
13
14 I will confess up-front I'm not an expert in Spectre, but I don't see how
15 having the next password speculatively read would on its own create a
16 vulnerability. You would also need some kind of indirect memory access
17 based on the speculatively-accessed data to create a timing channel.
18
19 And of course it is entirely possible that the loop wouldn't be
20 sequentially reading in data in a way that could cause a bound to be
21 exceeded, and in this situation I don't see why protection would be
22 required. Consider:
23
24 for x = 1 to 10 : y=5+3 : next x
25
26 This is obviously trivial, but I don't see how executing that loop a few
27 too many times would cause problems, so blocking speculation is just going
28 to hurt performance for no benefit.
29
30 I still tend to think that the additional context around these memory
31 accesses that is available in a high-level language could be used by a
32 compiler to determine when protection is required.
33
34 Certainly a skilled programmer might be able to do an even better job if
35 they were vigilant, but not all programmers are equally skilled...
38 Rich