From: "Abraham Marín Pérez" <abraham@×××××××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Thunderbird and local LDAP server
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:37:52
1 Well, after using Ethereal to see the parameters sent during the
2 transaction, it does work, I can browse the LDAP database. The problem
3 now is that LDAP access seems to be read only and I'd like to be able to
4 add new contacts to the directory from Thunderbird, is this possible?
5 and is this secure to be done through Internet?
6
7 Thanks,
8 Abraham
9
10 Brett Schroeder escribió:
11
12 > The OpenLDAP client is *not* needed on the machine running T-bird - do
13 > something like the following to convince yourself that t-bird does
14 > *not* require the ldap client
15 >
16 > grep -i ldap
17 > /var/db/pkg/mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird-1.0.6-r2/{,R,P}DEPEND
18 >
19 > All the work is in setting up the server. Thunderbird itself requires
20 > only a few simple pieces of info.
21 >
22 > See this
23 >
24 > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/specs/ldap.html
25 >
26 > and here's some more links (somewhat dated now but they get you
27 > thinking in the right direction)
28 >
29 > http://collingrady.com/2004/07/02/moz-ldap/
30 > http://www.topology.org/comms/ldap.html
31 >
32 > The best way to get this working (as is the case for any client-server
33 > software) is to use ethereal/tcpdump to capture the network requests
34 > made by t-bird. Then you will see exactly what requests are being sent
35 > to & from the server. This requires that you understand the protocol
36 > and how your server has implemented it
37 >
38 > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2251.txt
39 > http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/
40 >
41 > LDAP schemas & servers are way too much fun ;-)
42 >
43 > Brett
44 >
45 > Ralph Slooten wrote: