From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Greylisting idea
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 01:23:47
1 Grant wrote:
2 > Any drawbacks to that? Is this what you mean:
3 >
4 > # --lookup-by-subnet strip the last 8 bits from IP addresses (default)
5
6 Yep this one and no drawbacks I can think of.
7
8 > Why wouldn't the email be returned to the sender in case 1?
9
10 Because number 1 is entirely composed of newsletters, automated
12 their mail queues were full of crap email. So rather than have a twenty
13 server farm to send email, they took a short cut. The email is generated
14 on the fly and piped directly to the socket for immediately delivery.
15 I'm totally guessing here, but that's roughly how I'd do it. If the mail
16 fails, the entire thing is dropped on the floor and maybe a db gets
17 updated to reflect that it was never sent. You can send a ton of email
18 this way because you never take the I/O hit of running the email through
19 outbound MTA queues on the originating side. Because it never enters a
20 "real" MTA it never gets retried when it fails.
21
22 kashani
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list