From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unclear (to me) errors from portage
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 16:17:38
1 On Fri, Aug 08 2014, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > This new dynamic dep stuff allows portage a degree of freedom in
4 > selecting such providers and sometimes it decides to use the one you
5 > don't have. To satisfy that decision, it must then uninstall what you
6 > have.
7
8 This I understand
9
10 > I suspect the root cause of such apparently random behaviour is that
11 > portage is loading your installed apps into an associative array, and
12 > the order if items in those are random.
13
14 This does surprise me. Are entries hashed with a random value?
15
16 > Two solutions::
17 >
18 > 1. use --backtrack <some big number>
19 > this tells portage to search deeper and hopefully realize you
20 > already have libav
21 >
22 > 2. Put libav in world, this will stop portage from trying to be helpful
23 >
24 > I prefer the second choice as it makes things very explicit.
25
26 It looked as thought the successful choice is for portage to uninstall
27 libav so I am not sure inserting it into world would be helpful. I
28 can't test it since the emerge has completed successfully (at least
29 without complaint).
30
31 thanks,
32 allan