From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:25:50
1 On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 00:20:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I'm a forgetful old git. In my world it usually goes like this:
4 >
5 > emerge, build, install new kernel
6 > carry on with work
7 > boot into new kernel at some later point
8 > observe xdm doing nothing on-screen
9 > curse and swear mightily
10 > Ctrl-Alt-F1
11 > login as root
12 > check symlink
13 > module-rebuild rebuild
14 > modprobe -r nvidia && modprobe nvidia
15 > /etc/init.d/xdm restart && logout
16 >
17 > takes about 6 minutes total, 6 minutes that I'll never get back :-)
18
19 That's why I use a script to build and install the kernel and then
20 install any external modules. With video drivers it's merely an
21 inconvenience if you forget, but with wireless drivers, especially
22 with DISTDIR on NFS, it means I would have to reboot back to the old
23 kernel again.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 If you think that there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.