From: Damian <damian.only@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xmonad, beagle-search, and mime types
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:12:59
1 On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 03:45:14PM +0100, Damian wrote:
3 >> So I tried to see how xdg-open works, but the man page didn't give me
4 >> any useful information. The related command, xdg-mime, doesn't work as
5 >> I expected.
6 >
7 > I asked a similar question a week or so back.
8 I searched in my mails but I couldn't find it. Sorry, I probably
9 didn't enter a relevant search string.
10
11 >> But xdg-open (and therefore beagle-search) still refuses to open jpeg
12 >> images with geeqie.
13 >>
14 >> Any ideas?
15 >
16 > xdg-open is just a shell script. If you are interested, take a look at
17 >  less `which xdg-open`
18 > and you will be enlightened as to why it is a complete piece of crap
19 > unless you are using KDE, GNOME, or XFCE. (Hint, notice how nowhere in
20 > the script does it read whatever you modified with xdg-mime.)
21 >
22 > A possible way to work around it (depends on your application, which,
23 > in your case, is beagle, which I am not familiar with) is to go into
24 > the offending application that is calling xdg-open and see if you can
25 > configure MIME types in there yourself. The application that made me
26 > look this up, Jabref, does allow that configuration. Your mileage can
27 > of course vary.
28 Thanks Willie for your answer.
29
30 Sadly beagle-search doesn't offer any option. The developers must use
31 only gnome.
32
33 I guess I will have so find another beagle front end, or choose a
34 different desktop search engine.
38 > Cheers,
39 >
40 > W
41 > --
42 > Willie W. Wong                                     wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
43 > Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
44 >         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton