From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about setting up reliable firewall
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:29:12
1 On 12 August 2005 16:40, cothrige wrote:
2 > I have been trying to find a way to set up a simple firewall which I
3 > can trust is doing what I need it to do. I am connecting via a
4 > diaulup with my local phone company which dynamically assigns me an ip
5 > address. I want to be able to use the web and send and receive email
6 > via my pop and smtp server, also from my phone company, but of course
7 > would like to protect myself from outside attacks. I also have a
8 > second machine connected via ethernet which allows me to operate out
9 > of two rooms, but I don't have anything I can use to set up a
10 > dedicated firewall box, which seems to be what so many howtos assume.
11
12 Emerge shorewall, read the docs, especially the comments in its config files
13 and set it up. Once you understand how it works, the setup is easy. Then
14 let /etc/ppp/ip-up bring it up and /etc/ppp/ip-down bring it down. In your
15 simple setup, just deny everything from outside and allow everything from
16 inside. Though a dedicated firewall is much better for anything larger, you
17 can get away with setting it up on your connecting box.
18
19 Uwe
22 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
23 developers. - Linus Torvalds
24
25 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
26 --