From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [gentoo-user] Why IDEPEND's context is BHOST?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2022 15:09:39
1 On Thu, Sep 01, 2022 at 05:26:46PM +0300, Alexander Kurakin wrote:
2 >
3 > Good day!
4 >
5 > [1] says:
6 >
7 > >  idepend Additionally, in EAPIs listed in table 8.4 as supporting IDEPEND, install-time dependencies can be specified. These dependencies are binary compatible with the native build system (CBUILD).
8 >
9 > But we install and use (run at install-time) dependencies on host system (CHOST), don’t we? Why CBUILD is mentioned above, instead?
10
11 If cross-building to a different ROOT, e.g. amd64 CBUILD to a aarch64
12 CHOST, then amd64 will need deps to run pkg_postinst from its arch
13 (which IDEPEND will provide).
14
15 Of course, aarch64 will /also/ need these deps so it can emerge or
16 unmerge a binpkg, also provided by IDEPEND.
17
18 Before EAPI8 the best you could do to represent this was to have
19 the dependency in both RDEPEND and BDEPEND, but this lack a use-case
20 where you cross-emerge a binpkg given it won't pull BDEPEND (not
21 building) and then RDEPEND is for the wrong arch.
24 ionen