From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: I want to get excited, but I just *know* they're going to mess it up...
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:00:45
1 On 29 Jan 2010, at 05:43, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 > They got it right for being open to OSS, but they got it wrong with
4 > the
5 > word "cloud"...
6 >
7 > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman
10 Seems like Stallman's objections don't apply because the proposal is
11 that they own their own cloud.
12
13 I.E. the use of the word "cloud" is just buzzwordology to gain
14 approval & acceptance.
15
16 One could weigh the pros & cons of using regional data centres for
17 this, versus a server room in the basement of the individual
18 government buildings in Swansea (DVLA), Bristol (TV licensing) &
19 wherever, but I just feel too pessimistic about this today to feel
20 it's worth it.
21
22 Stroller.