From: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] "Copying" between hard drives potential newbie question
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:43:04
1 Hi
2
3 Long story short
4 - power outage damages hard drive
5 - under liveCD data can still be read [phew]
6 - comp will not boot from damaged hdd
7 - man runs to shop and buys new hdd plus UPS
8 - installed new hdd | /dev/hda
9 - old damaged hdd is /dev/hdb [3 partitions, hdb1 = /boot ext3, hdb2 =
10 /swap, hdb3 = /root reiserfs]
11
12 My question :-
13
14 I need to "copy" all from hdb to hda what would be the sugested route?
15
16 I created a set of similar partitions on new hda with same filesystems
17 then attempted a cp which indeed copied the data but machine refused
18 to boot, sensed that I had been too obvious so after much googling I
19 have looked into parted though with no sucess as yet.
20
21 If someone could recommend a fools guide to this process I would
22 appreciate it, as I am tired somewhat poorer and generally fed up.
25 stu
26
27 ps. Essential files from Gentoo system are backed up to another
28 machine though not full system and I am loathed to reinstall Gentoo
29 then copy over these files when I am sure there is a better way of
30 "restoring" complete system from one hard drive to another.
31 --
32 "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
33 binary, those who don't"
34
35 --Unknown
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list