From: Miguel Ramos <2008@××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:55:34
1 Another argument in favour of cp in Linux: holes in sparse files are
2 kept correctly, whereas using tar they are not.
3
4 It is curious that this is very OS dependent.
5 In FreeBSD, with cp, holes always go away, using tar, or better
6 dump/restore is a way to keep all file attributes.
7 In Linux, cp -a seems to be better for archives than tar, because it
8 preserves these properties better, even across devices.
9