From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:31:57
1 On Wednesday 20 December 2006 18:16, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > > In cases like that, you use portage overlays. Then the ebuild will
4 > > always be there until *you* delete it
5 >
6 > The problem with this view of overlays has been that I do an eix-sync
7 > and find that something I'm currently running been removed from
8 > portage - for whatever reason but mostly it's been security issues or
9 > the developer not wanting to maintain an old version. At that point
10 > it's gone. I cannot put into an overlay what I don't have.
11
12 no, it is still there. You do have it!
13 If you have a package installed, its ebuild is safed
14 in /var/db/pkg/category/packagename just copy it.
15
16 Or you extract it from cvs.
17
18 But it is not 'gone'.
21 > I understand that every package is out there in some repository on the
22 > web. I think Neil has pointed me toward it once or twice at least. The
23 > problem is for a user type like me, and yes, I'm *purely* a user type,
24 > it's a bit beyond my skillset today to go get it and build the overlay
25 > myself.
26
27 it is not 'somewhere'. It is on the gentoo hp. AND your harddisk.
30 > I've mentioned this in the past but the idea has never gained
31 > traction. If portage is thinking about removing an ebuild from my
32 > machine why not just move it to some location on my machine so I've
33 > always got a copy of what I was running? I could build my overlay from
34 > what's been moved there. No pain at all. Or I can do what you suggest
35 > and remove it.
36
37 because there is already a copy if you installed it. Also, do you really want
38 to never remove an ebuild?`How many millions should be kept? And the
39 diskspace?
42 > Anyway, that's my view from user land on this subject. It is only this
43 > area where Gentoo is a bit of a pain for me.
44
45 because you don't know how to use it and never informed yourself?
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list