From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Time for hardware upgrade(s)
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 19:38:34
1 Grant wrote:
2 >> My motherboard is getting flaky and it's time for a new one. I have
3 >> an AMD 6000+ CPU, 4GB DDR2/800 RAM, 2TB SATA2 HD, Blu-Ray burner, PCI
4 >> wireless card, 400W power supply, and ATX case. I could replace any
5 >> of these components if it's worthwhile for some new feature, but I may
6 >> as well keep them if it's not.
7 >>
8 >> The most important thing is reliability and Linux compatibility but I
9 >> also need HDMI and I figure USB 3.0 is a good idea. The system is for
10 >> playing music and movies, no gaming whatsoever. If you're familiar
11 >> with the current hardware scene, where would you go from here as far
12 >> as a motherboard and other components? Any features a Gentoo'er
13 >> should look for?
14 >>
15 >> - Grant
16 >>
17 > Is Nvidia still the way to go instead of ATI? I use the nouveau
18 > drivers with my onboard Nvidia chipset now and they've been fine for
19 > the most part. I use a threaded ffmpeg to decode HD video instead of
20 > VDPAU so I don't bother with nvidia-drivers.
21 >
22 > - Grant
28 I don't have any experience with ATI but I still use Nvidia and their
29 drivers. I haven't had any problems as of yet. I did have a video
30 problem once but it was a kernel problem. For me, I see no need in me
31 getting a ATI card. That's just me.
32
33 Dale
34