From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switch to Unicode
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:39:59
1 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
2 > On Monday, 6. August 2007, alain.didierjean@××××.fr wrote:
3 > > I'm a french man. As such, I use iso-8859-15 encoding system
4 > > wide w/o problem.
5 > >
6 > > Few questions:
7 > > - Should I switch to UTF-8 ?
8
9 If you have no problems, then just stick with ISO-8859-15. But
10 switching to UTF-8 now, when you have time to deal with any
11 problems, will save you from doing it when it becomes a pressing
12 need for some reason.
13
14 > I regularely receive mail (in French or German) where I have to
15 > change the encoding in kmail to get the correct caracters.
16 >
17 > I don't know if this is rather a problem of the sender or of
18 > kmail not identifying the encoding correctly (the setting is set
19 > to "auto-detect".
20
21 Where do you set KMail to do "auto-detect"? As far as I can tell,
22 KMail always obeys the encoding specification given in the mail
23 itself, and probably only in the absence of that tries to do some
24 autodetection.
25
26 What exactly these "Fallback encoding" and "Override encoding" do in
27 Settings > Configure KMail > Appearance > Message window, I haven't
28 been able to figure out.
29
30 Benno
31 --