From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:21:23
1 On Sunday 30 Aug 2015 08:54:16 Dale wrote:
2 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > The biggest reason I shutdown, power failure. I use checkrestart to see
7 > > if/when I need to restart something after doing updates. If for example
8 > > I update something in the @system area, then I just logout of the GUI,
9 > > go to boot runlevel, run checkrestart again to see if that did it and
10 > > then go back to default runlevel. Sometimes, I have to restart
11 > > something by hand instead of rebooting but not to often. Generally just
12 > > going to boot runlevel gets the job done.
13 > >
14 > > One thing about not rebooting a lot, you use cache a lot which can speed
15 > > some things up a bit. I have 16GBs here and most of the time, it is
16 > > almost all used. How much that helps, I dunno but if it didn't help,
17 > > they wouldn't have it doing it. Another good side, run updates while
18 > > you sleep.
19 > >
20 > > The only bad side, more wear on things like fans and some extra dust. I
21 > > try to clean my rig at least twice a year or whenever I notice the temps
22 > > a little higher than they should be. Oh, pulls power all the time which
23 > > may not matter much depending on your electricity rates.
24 > >
25 > > Of course, fixing that connection issue may be a good idea too. ;-)
26 > >
27 > > hmmm, if you go to boot run level what is the difference between that
28 > > and rebooting? After a major update there are so many things to restart
29 > > that I usually give up and reboot the system, is actually quicker.
30 >
31 > Hmmmm, this quoting thing didn't work right again.
32 >
33 > For me, it is faster. Also, rebooting can uncover a problem that I
34 > might not know about. I've had a few times where I couldn't reboot for
35 > some unknown reason. Plus, all the common stuff remains in cache. Most
36 > of the time tho, just logging out of a GUI, KDE for me, is enough.
37 > Using checkrestart should tell me exactly what needs to be restarted and
38 > most of the time how. About the only thing I have to restart manually,
39 > udev. It's one thing that has a regular update that doesn't restart
40 > since it is already started before getting to the boot runlevel.
41 >
42 > To each his own tho. All of us has our own way of doing things of this
43 > nature and for varying reasons. Some shutdown because electricity is
44 > expensive. For some, that doesn't matter. Some do it to just reduce
45 > noise from the fans etc. One reason I leave mine on all the time is
46 > that I almost always have mine doing something. I have tons of TV shows
47 > and such on here. If I'm not doing something myself, I have it doing
48 > something.
49 >
50 > Dale
51 >
53
54 What do you do if you install a new kernel? You have to reboot then, yes?
57 Regards,
58 Mick