From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Was: What the devil?!!] sddm shutdown & reboot
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 19:19:08
1 On Wednesday, 26 June 2019 16:49:11 BST Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 17:13, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > > Could it be loginctl is there to confirm if a local button operation
4 > > > can run / sbin/poweroff, rather than actually running the command as
5 > > > shown in the sddm config file?
6 > >
7 > > No, not when I tried it
8 > >
9 > > % loginctl poweroff
10 > > Unknown operation poweroff.
11 > >
12 > > This is confirmed by the list of commands in the loginctl man page.
13 >
14 > On the other hand, poweroff and reboot are valid arguments to
15 > /bin/loginctl, installed by elogind
16 >
17 > Regards,
18 > Arve
19
20 OK, I got this partly wrong.
21
22 1. There is a /bin/loginctl installed by elogind in openrc, but there is no /
23 usr/bin/loginctl, which is what the sddm default settings file mentions.
24
25 2. Running '/bin/loginctl poweroff' from a console, while logged in as a user
26 works fine.
27
28 3. Despite the above, some installations of mine do not react to sddm button
29 presses to shutdown/reboot, but an older installation does. On some
30 installations which I suspect are running some (older) default sddm theme
31 there are no shutdown/reboot buttons shown at all. :-/
32
33 4. The installation which has buttons showing and reacts to it is an old
34 installation, which has been hacked to death. At some point in its life it
35 had an /etc/sddm/ config file, modified to do stuff which the default settings
36 would not do. This file is no longer there, so sddm should be reading the
37 default settings under /usr/share/sddm/ but I don't know if some settings were
38 cached by sddm and this is why this PC works as it should, but others don't.
39
40 All this has left me confused and I'm thinking startx in a terminal is not
41 such a bad idea after all ...
44 Regards,
45 Mick