From: "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which VM do you recommend?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:12:35
1 2013/7/30 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been running a Windows 7 (professional)guest with Virtualbox on my
5 > GenToo system for some years.
6 > But recently I have a broken network either due to Virtualbox or due to some
7 > (automatic) Windows updates.
8 >
9 > The situation is more than strange.
10 >
11 > Sometime using a backed up Virtualbox image the network seems to work but
12 > only for
13 > a very short time (some minutes?)
14 >
15 > Windows error analyzing tools don't see any network problems but it does not
16 > work.
17 >
18 > Trying ping -n 100 <IP> only a few packets come back but with a large delay
19 > (40-50 times
20 > larger delay compared to ping on the GenToo host)
21 >
22 > I've tried the most recent Virtualbox 4.2.16 as well the oldest one (in the
23 > tree) which is 4.1.26
24 >
25 > So probably it looks best to me to change to a different (free) VM.
26 > What do you recommend?
27 >
28 > Many thanks for a hint,
29 > Helmut
30
31 Hi,
32
33 I'm using qemu-kvm for hoisting a Windows 7, but always typing the
34 long commandline is anoying, so I wrote a little script to start the
35 VM. I recently switched to libvirt and virt-manager, which do the
36 commandline work for me, and creatting new VMs or starting them is
37 quiet easy. This system also supports running the VM in background, if
38 this is important to you. It needs a couple of kernel modules to work,
39 but emerge will promt to you what it needs.
40
41 I'm not on my gentoo machine at the moment, so I can't provide you
42 details on USE-flags, but I can say I have the QUEM_TAGET varables set
43 to i386, x86_64
44
45 HTH
48 Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
49
50 Randolph Maaßen