From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 08:53:53
1 On Saturday 03 May 2014 23:04:49 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 03.05.2014 22:50, schrieb Peter Humphrey:
3 > >> Yes, I noticed that annoyance myself. I would much prefer it to default
5 > >> more logical names.
6 > >
7 > > If the docs had included that little snippet I'd have saved myself many a
8 > > frustrating hour. I'll only look stupid if I tell you how many ;-)
9 > >
10 > > Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread. I just wanted to point out that
11 > > raid arrays don't need lvm2 or mdraid present to auto-start, at least not
12 > > on my openrc box which also has no initramfs.
13 >
14 > Thanks for your contribution.
15
16 My pleasure.
17
18 > I spent nearly the whole day digging around this issue ...
19
20 You did better than I did recently: I spent four days at it.
21
22 > I wonder if I speak for more users when I say that all this is kind of
23 > confusing sometimes ...
24
25 I'm with you there, Stefan. I find the whole RAID and LVM area deeply
26 mysterious, and the docs I've seen only say what to do, not why. I'd still
27 like to find a proper explanation of how it all works.
28
29 > I am not so far to skip the initramfs -> I don't *know* that, I just
30 > tested removing the line from grub2 and it failed finding the root-fs.
31
32 I've never had an initramfs, seeing no need in my case to keep /usr on its own
33 partition.
34
35 > For booting from a plain partition on an SSD I think I shouldn't need an
36 > initramfs? Does it have to do with MBR/GPT as well (the SSD is
37 > still/again MBR, as UEFI booting broke badly for me back then) ?
38
39 As far as I know, the only thing that /requires/ an initramfs is having a
40 separate /usr. And I can't help you with GPT or UEFI - sorry.
41
42 > Maybe I learn more soon ;-)
43
44 I sometimes say that life is just one long journey of discovery :-)
47 Regards
48 Peter