From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:22:35
1 On Sat, 22 February 2014, at 10:38 am, Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru> wrote:
2
3 > On 22.02.2014 11:40, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
4 >> [ ... ]
5 >> Even as the complex beast it has become systemd is still simpler than the
6 >> alternative of having abominations of unreliable shell scripts checking to see
7 >> which version of grep and sed is used to split the command line, or whether
8 >> the system uses tempfile or mktemp, or depending on perl.
9 >
10 > Well, simpler yeah, supporting only one kernel of specific versions is always simpler than trying to support everything from SunOS to NetBSD. This way, if the kernel supported only e.g. Intel IvyBridge+ with one chipset family, one graphics (VESA) and so on, it would have been incredibly simpler.
11
12 I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and
13 professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. … PS. Yes – it’s
14 free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is NOT
15 protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will
16 support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that’s all I have :-(.
17
18 Linux did indeed once support only one CPU family and one or two hard-drives, and the reason that it now supports more is that people dug into the code, submitted patches and got it fixed.
19
20 Had all the original Linux developers spent their time on the comp.os.minix list, complaining "oh, those splitters, they're trying to fragment the Minix community" and "this Linus guy should be putting his effort into improving the Minix kernel", where would we be today?
21
22 It's almost hilarious the volume of traffic expended here on this subject, especially that by the naysayers. When I first learned of systemd I did not feel favourably towards it, but those ranting against it have only given Canek a platform to convince me.
23
24 And whilst I'm still of two minds on which init system I'd ideally prefer, I am not under any delusions that I can influence the developers of the Gentoo distro or those of the Linux kernel (who AIUI are adding kdbus to support systemd), either by ranting about it here or otherwise.
25
26 The amount of energy spent on this, you could have established a fork and written code by now - if y'all really want to prove your point, that's the way to do it.
27
28 Stroller.