From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: amd64 installation: which file system?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:09:15
1 On 7/18/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > My question now is which file system would be best to use? I have used
3 > reiserfs with great success, but reiser4 or xfs look appealing.
4
5 I would stay far away from reiser4. From what I can tell, reiser4 may
6 never make it into the mainline kernel. Xfs and ext3 are both very
7 good choices. Personally I have a /very slight/ preference for xfs,
8 because of xfs_fsr and the tuning options available in /proc.
9
10 > Recommendations for a file system that is mostly going to be challenged
11 > by streaming video (mpeg, h.264 dirac, ogg theora....) is of keen
12 > interest. Any benchmarks available?
13
14 Partitioning is probably the most important thing you could do for the
15 performance of this system. Make a separate filesystem for the
16 video work, so it doesn't have to compete for block/extent allocations
17 with the rest of your system.
18
19 -Richard
20 --