From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Brand new instalation - Network problem
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 21:04:23
1 On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 08:44:00PM +0000, João Matos wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I`ve just installed a brand new gentoo amd64 and there is this problem: my
5 > "Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI
6 > Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)" is recognized as *sit0* , but
7 > I can't get any IP Adress.
8 >
9 > dhcp takes long and doesn't get any result. dhcpcd doesn't work either.
10 > Even if I choose a manual address I cant ping other devices.
11 >
12 > When I used ifconfig, I got something like "ipv6 over ipv4", but I will
13 > only need ipv4. So I disabled ipv6 USE flag, but I didn't change anything.
14 > The weird thing is that if I disable the IPV6 kernel support (manual
15 > configuration btw), the network interface (sit0) desappears!
16 >
17 > When I reboot the system using a usb botable Ubuntu everything works fine,
18 > using the same hardware/infrastructure.
19
20 sit0 is used for ipv6 tunneling (6to4), it is not a physical interface
21
22 While you're in the Ubuntu environment, issue "lspci -k" to see which kernel
23 driver your ethernet device uses. It is R8169 which is provided by:
24
25 Symbol: R8169 [=y]
26 Type : tristate
27 Prompt: Realtek 8169 gigabit ethernet support
28 Location:
29 -> Device Drivers
30 -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])
31 -> Ethernet driver support (ETHERNET [=y])
32 -> Realtek devices (NET_VENDOR_REALTEK [=y])
33
34 The Gentoo Handbook has the following Networking section
35 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=8#doc_chap2
36 which tells you what to do.
37
38 If you prefer eth0, rather than some udev mangled name such as enp3s0, read
39 the three methods in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udev/upgrade
40 --
41 Happy Penguin Computers >')
42 126 Fenco Drive ( \
43 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
45 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
46 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
47
48 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
49 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
50 A: Top-posting.
51 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
52
53 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting