From: Keith Dart <keith@×××××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Solved.Re: X/ati/amd/kde4/hal/evdev/??? problem
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:13:50
1 On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 01:56:57 +0200
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > so very wrong.
5
6 From the AMD driver web site:
7
8 "32-Bit packages must be installed for 64-Bit Linux drivers to install
9 or work. "
10
11 The ebuild also pulls in the app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs
12 package.
13
14 Please explain.
17 > > The open-source x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati package works much
18 > > better. If you don't really need the 3D acceleration I'd recommend
19 > > you switch to that.
20 >
21 > except that they don't have working powermanagment, increasing energy
22 > consumption (a lot) and noise (even more).
23
24 I hadn't noticed that. I did notice a definite speed and
25 stability improvement after switching to the open-source drivers. The
26 ati-drivers also crashed my system occasionally.
32 Keith Dart
33 <keith@×××××××××.biz>