From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating our live servers. I'm scared!
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:48:27
1 On 03/28/2013 11:38 AM, Nick Khamis wrote:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > Just got a ticket assigned to me where we need to update our production servers.
5 >
6 > uname -a
7 > Linux noun 3.4.9-gentoo #2 SMP Sat Oct 13 09:35:07 EDT 2012 x86_64
8 > Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
9 >
10 > eselect
11 > [18] hardened/linux/amd64 *
12 >
13 > I don't think they have been updated since the initial install and
14 > wanted to get a little feedback on some safe practices and methods
15 > that should be performed before and while doing so.
16
17 This isn't that old, you'll be fine. First run an emerge --sync to
18 update the tree. Then list everything it wants to upgrade:
19
20 emerge -puDN1 world
21
22 Once you have that list, go through a few at a time, updating
23 non-essential packages. For example,
24
25 emerge -u1 timezone-data man-pages ...
26
27 Every once in a while, run a revdep-rebuild. If you have service
28 monitoring (e.g. Nagios), great, it'll alert you if something breaks. If
29 not, you'll have to test the services yourself every few packages. And
30 don't forget to open a counter-ticket for someone to implement a
31 monitoring solution, already.
32
33 After a while, only important packages (apache, mysql, postfix...) will
34 be left. Do those one at a time, and restart the services afterwards.
35 Read the release notes first. Run revdep-rebuild. Check that the
36 services work.
37
38 Finally, you'll be left with the guaranteed-to-break updates like grub2
39 (50/50) and udev (100% you're fucked prepare for downtime). Grub2 can of
40 course be skipped until the hardware dies. Best of luck to you with udev =)